Home » Tax Law » What Filing Status Should You Use?

As a general rule of thumb, married people should file jointly, because it is generally advantageous, as married filing jointly is the most advantageous tax bracket. If you are single, but are taking care of a dependent child, you should file as head of household – tax rates are lower than filing a single return.

If you are divorced any time during the year, you should file as a single person, either single or as head of household if you have dependent children. But, if you are separated and even leaving apart, but not divorced, you must still file as a married person.

Related Tax Law Articles