Home » Immigration Law » Visas » Public Charge

You can also be denied a visa if there is a likelihood you will be a public charge; in other words, if it is likely that you will need public assistance, including welfare, food stamps, or Medicaid. You can avoid status as a “public charge” by getting a sponsor to submit an affidavit promising to support you. The sponsor, however, must have the assets to reasonably offer support. You can also avoid this tag by proving you have an income, either through your spouse or employment.

Related Visas Articles