Home » Employment Law » Pay and Time Off » Overtime Pay and Comp Time

If you are a nonexempt employee entitled to overtime pay under the FLSA (see Overtime Pay). In general, if you work overtime, you are entitled to pay at one and a half times your normal hourly rate.

However, in some cases, you employer may offer compensatory (comp) time instead of cash. Comp time is only legal, however, if it is offered at one and a half times the overtime hours worked and taken during the same pay period the overtime hours were worked.

In addition, your employer must notify you in advance before they offer comp time instead of overtime pay.

Related Pay and Time Off Articles