Home » Immigration Law » Visas » Family-Based Green Cards

The most popular means to getting a green card is if an alien is an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Immediate relatives include spouses of a U.S. Citizen, unmarried minor children of U.S. Citizens, parents of a U.S. Citizen, or a spouse of a deceased U.S. Citizen.

226,000 immigrants are also allowed into the United States every year under a family-based preference group. These include, in order of preference: adult unmarried children of U.C. Citizens, spouses and children of permanent residents, children of permanent residents, and siblings of U.S. Citizens over 21 years old.

To get a family-based green card, the U.S. Citizen or permanent resident must file a petition for the relative to come into the United States.Related Visas Articles